My Links


Blog Stats


单词学习: 1. The air in the car feels stale( I. 不新鲜的 Having lost freshness, effervescence, or palatability: stale bread; stale air. II. Lacking originality or spontaneity 老旧的, 缺乏原创性的, 老一套的, 老套的: a stale joke. III. Impaired in efficacy, vigor, or spirit, as from inactivity or boredom.没有活力没有动力的. 没有干劲的lacking in energy or ideas through overwork or lack of variety.). 2. A plunger(下水道疏通用的拔子, 也叫plumber's helper. coffee plunger 咖啡壶, 是那种用于过滤的壶. plunge作为一个动词是"跳入, 扎进, 投入, 坠入"的意思 Shares in the company plunged 18p猛跌18便士 on news that profits had fallen. A car swerved to avoid a bus and plunged into a ravine坠入峡谷. plunger n. =speculator, reckless gambler投机冒险者, someone who risks losses for the possibility of considerable gains. take the plunge冒险一试(有时指结婚) to decide to do something, to do something important or difficult that you have been thinking about doing for a long time I've decided to take the plunge and start up my own business. Those women who took the plunge and ran for the state legislature enjoyed great success. Usage notes: usually said about doing something that involves some risk. bludger (dole bluger) 混日子的人, 吃饱昏天黑的人, 不称职的人 ['blʌdʒə] I. a person who scrounges. a person who avoids work II. a person in authority regarded as ineffectual by those working under him. blunger 制陶中用于搅拌的大罐子 ['blʌndʒə] a large vat in which the contents, esp clay and water, are mixed by rotating arms. ) is a common device that is used to release stoppages in plumbing. The tool consists of a rubber cup橡胶帽 with an attached stick "shaft", usually made of wood or bronze. Before use使用前, any hair etc. in the plug grate( I. grater擦子 作为动词以为把...擦成丝. II. 刺耳的摩擦声. He had a juvenile streak ( ['dʒu:vi,nail] 含有"年轻, 幼稚, 不成熟"的意思 ) which grated on her nevers. III. 花栅, 格栅, 网子 ) should be removed and, if possible the overflow hole溢出孔 should be sealed with a wet cloth. The cup is pushed down against the drain, and either pressed hard into the drain to force air in, or is pushed down until the rubber cup is flattened, then pulled out, causing a vacuum. The intent目的, 意图 is to loosen or break up a clog, excessive material, or other blockage in the outlet or drainage pipe from a sink, toilet, bathtub, shower, etc. The difference between a sink (kitchen) plunger and a toilet plunger is that the former looks like a ball cut in half while the latter looks more like a distorted ball变形球 with a large hole on the bottom. When a plunger is ineffective没有用, 不管用, 无效, it is often supplemented by a chemical drain opener, or by a plumber's snake. 3. 超市设male用品专柜: A male only aisle can creat a sense o privacy. Even sanctum(['sæŋktəm] a room or place of total privacy or inviolability). Male grooming sector is a booming market. Supermarket could cash in on the trend by setting up masculine browsing spaces. 4. The beleaguered被围攻, 身陷困境 premier returned to Adelaide early on Thursday following the Wednesday arrest of the Labor MP. A grim-faced Mr Rann declined to talk to reporters. 'Like others, I was shocked by reports I read in the newspaper this morning,' he said later in the statement. 'For legal reasons, no person is at liberty to ( able or allowed to do something I'm not at liberty to discuss this with you. Usage notes: often used in a negative statement, as in the example) reveal the identity of the person, the subject of the allegations, or to disclose any information through which others may infer the identity of the person. 'It would be against the law伟珐的 for me to comment on the allegations as the matter is now before the courts. 'Mr Rann said any potential witnesses with any evidence or information about these allegations must co-operate全面合作 fully with the police. Detectives say their investigation into the sexual exploitation of children is continuing. 5. willful adj. 故意的 referring to acts which are intentional, conscious, and directed toward achieving a purpose, not accidental, it's voluntary or designed. Some willful conduct which has wrongful or unfortunate results is considered "hardheaded," "stubborn" and even "malicious." Example: "The defendant's attack on his neighbor was willful." There is no precise definition of the term willful because its meaning largely depends on the context in which it appears. It generally signifies a sense of the intentional as opposed to the inadvertent故意的而不是不小心的, the deliberate as opposed to the unplanned预谋的而不是随机的, and the voluntary as opposed to the compelled自愿的而不是被迫的. In criminal-law statutes, willfully ordinarily means with a bad purpose or criminal intent, particularly if the proscribed act is mala in se (an evil in itself, intrinsically wrong) or involves moral turpitude. For example, willful murder is the unlawful killing of another individual without any excuse or Mitigating Circumstances( =external circumstances. a circumstance that does not exonerate a person but which reduces the penalty associated with the offense ). If the forbidden act is not wrong in itself, such as driving over the speed limit, willfully is used to mean intentionally, purposefully, or knowingly. Under workers' compensation acts, willful misconduct by an employee means that he intentionally performed an act with the knowledge that it was likely to result in serious injuries or with reckless disregard of its probable consequences. A finding of "willful misconduct" prevents the employee from being awarded compensation for his injuries. Willful abandonment, willful damage=vandalism, willful burning of property, willful disregard, willful neglect, willful distortion of the truth. Willful blindness (sometimes called ignorance of law, willful ignorance or contrived ignorance or Nelsonian knowledge) is a term used in law to describe a situation in which an individual seeks to avoid civil or criminal liability for a wrongful act by intentionally putting himself in a position where he will be unaware of facts which would render him liable. For example, in a number of cases, persons transporting packages containing illegal drugs have asserted that they never asked what the contents of the packages were, and therefore lacked the requisite intent to break the law. Two-up is a traditional Australian gambling game, involving a designated 'Spinner' throwing two or three coins into the air. Players gamble on whether the coins will fall with both (obverse) heads up, both (reverse) tails up, or with one coin a head, and one a tail (known as 'Odds'). It is traditionally played on ANZAC Day in pubs and clubs throughout Australia, in part to mark a shared experience with Diggers through the ages. Two heads means the Spinner wins. Two tails means the Spinner loses. Odds "One Them" means the Spinner throws again. 专门术语: Spinner - The person who throws the coins up in the air. Each person in the group takes turns at being the spinner. Boxer - Person who manages the game and the betting, and doesn't participate in betting. Ringkeeper (Ringy or ringer) - Person who looks after the coins after each toss (to avoid loss or interference). Kip小木片, 用于抛硬币 - A small piece of wood on which the coins are placed before being tossed. One coin is placed heads up, the other tails up. Heads - Both coins land with the 'head' side facing up. (Probability 25%). Tails - Both coins land with the 'tails' side facing up. (Probability 25%). Odding Out - To spin five "One Head - One Tail" in a row. Odds or "One Them" - One coin lands with the 'head' side up, and the other lands with the 'tails' side up. (Probability 50%). Come in Spinner - The call given by the boxer when all bets are placed and the coins are now ready to be tossed. Cockatoo - Only used in the 1800s to late 1930s (Due to legalisation of Two-Up on ANZAC Day), it was the nickname of the look-out who warned players of incoming police raids. "Two-up" is a traditional game which is true-blue Australian, invented in old Australia, and allowed to played LEGALLY in public only on special days, such as ANZACs day public holiday, since it's actually gambling...Of, course you can gamble and play it any time in an Australian casino. A smooth area of 3 metres diameter is used with any number of players participating. The RINGER will call for the "SPINNER" who will place a bet with the "BOXER". When this is set, side bets may be made, for either Heads or Tails. The "RINGER" will then call "Come in Spinner", the "SPINNER" will then walk into the centre of the RING and tosses the coins upwards. If the coins land with 2 Heads facing UP, it is called "HEADS". 2 Tails is called "TAILED THEM", and when one of each is showing, then it is "ODDS". The coins must be tossed until a result is obtained. The game is for the "SPINNER" to spin as many pairs of "HEADS" as possible. When 2 Tails are showing, the "SPINNER" passes the "KIP" to another person.The modern game is now played with three coins thus giving a quicker result i.e. 2 HEADS or 2 TAILS.

posted on Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:08 AM


No comments posted yet.
Protected by Clearscreen.SharpHIPEnter the code you see: